Old Fashioned Coffee Cake – LAUSD 1954
If you went to school in the Los Angeles area before the turn of the millennium, you undoubtedly experienced the rich and scrumptious coffee cake served in LAUSD schools. Well, we are all lucky because LAUSD released the coveted recipe to this classic coffee cake and you can make it at home. One bite and it will take you back to your middle schoolyard during recess. I made the coffee cake today, but with a few changes to make it a bit more healthy and moist. The result was awesome! The original coffee cake recipe is a picture posted by Los Angeles Unified School District. My tweaked recipe is as follow:Print Pin Rate
Servings: 12 pieces
- 3 cups of AP flour
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of nutmeg you can use 1 tsp if you like the taste
- 1/2 cup of oil
- 1 tsp of cinnamon you can use 2 tsp if you like the taste
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2 cups of sour cream
- 1 tbsp of vanilla extract
- Mix first 7 ingredients and reserve 1 cup for topping.
- Add the last 5 ingredients and mix together until combined, but not smooth. The mixture may be lumpy.
- Pour mixture into a well buttered 9 x 12 pan and add the reserved cup of topping.
- Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean (a few dry crumbs are ok).
- Let cool for 10 minutes.
Saving you money and time that's ABeanCountersWay.Com/toCooking